Sindhi Style Prawn Fry Recipe
An easy and flavorful weeknight meal, this Sindhi style prawn fry is adapted from Aroona Reejhsinghani's book, "The Sindhi Kitchen".
- ¼ cup oil canola, sunflower or vegetable
- ½ pound shrimp or prawn pre-cooked and thawed
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ yellow onion thinly sliced in half rings
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon crushed ginger
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes
- 2 bird eye’s chilies finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon cilantro finely chopped
Heat ¼ cup of neutral oil in a saucepan. Add shrimp or prawn, salt, and fry for 5-7 minutes until cooked through.
Remove from saucepan and drain on paper towel.
Reheat remaining oil and add cumin seeds. Fry for 30 seconds or until aromatic.
Add chopped onion and fry for 5-7 minutes until limp and translucent.
Add crushed ginger and garlic, and fry for 30 seconds to 1 minutes.
Add ground spices and fry for 1 minute, until they stop smelling raw. Add a splash water to deglaze the pan if needed.
Add diced chilies, cilantro, and cooked shrimp/prawns. Fry and coat in the masala for a couple of minutes. Serve immediately with roti or naan.